This course is designed for those who might have been exposed to project management but are still at an introductory level. It will suit those who need a refresher on the basics of project management or want to improve their knowledge and learn some systems to perform more efficiently. In this course, participants will develop the practical skills, knowledge, tools and guidelines necessary for initiating, planning, executing and controlling projects, or for making an effective contribution to the projects of others within your agency/organisation. Participants are requested to bring a current or future project with them.
Topics to be covered include:
- What is Project Management?
- Why Do Projects Fail?
- The Project Management Culture
- Roles, Responsibilities and Teamwork
- Project Lifecycle and Process Flows
- Project Planning – Scoping
- Planning Tools
- Risk Management
- Project Monitoring and Control
- Change Control
- Project Closure
- What's Next?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Gain a working knowledge and practical understanding of the nature of projects and the fundamental elements of project management
- Work effectively within the project lifecycle, engaging the necessary actions from initiation to evaluation
- Apply proven scoping and planning techniques to projects
- Exercise greater control over projects and manage customer expectations using project control and communication techniques
- Understand the role they can play in contributing to projects where they are not the project manager
- Better understand your project requirements to achieve greater project success and understanding in your agency/organisation
- Improve effectiveness of engagement and working outcomes with project stakeholders
- Gain greater control over the projects you are working on within your agency/organisation
- Improved capability of staff will create project efficiencies in your agency/organisation
- Through sending staff to the Project Management in the Public Sector course you will create future opportunities for staff to progress to a Diploma of Project Management qualification